On 27/11/2010, at 11:15 AM, cm wrote:

> I am looking register a domain name and have the associated web site hosted.
> The site will be interactive and require an application server  such as
> GlassFish to run JSF, or similar. Mac or Linux box would be preferred.
>
> Do you still think it a good idea to register with
> http://www.netregistry.com.au ? Or are there arguments to register a cheap
> .com domain name with http://www.namecheap.com ? I don't know if he is still
> active in the group, but Phillip McGree was recommending
> http://www.bottle.com.au Does anyone else have an opinion on them?
>
> Any advice or anecdotes about experiences would be greatly appreciated.

We register quite a few domains on behalf of clients, and over the years have
used a dozen or so registrars. With quite few we have had minor problems, but
almost never significant enough to result in the domain not being set up
correctly. Our current favoured registrar is Webcity - they are cheaper than
most, they use Enetica (a long-established company) to do the actual
registration, and their domain management interface is OK. Netregistry is a
very well-established company but they can be VERY expensive, particularly for
any related services.

Hosting is a much more complex decision, and depends greatly on what you plan
to do. Some of the USA based hosting companies give you enormous amounts of
resources (lots of storage space, multiple sites, many email addresses, endless
sub-domains, lots of applications, etc.) for a similar price to many local
companies which offer very limited features (for example one web site, few
email addresses and subdomains charged extra, etc.). However if you do not want
multiple sites and the other stuff, a local company might be suitable.

It seems to me that your first task is to ensure that GlassFish or whatever you
need is available from any prospective hosting service - I am not familiar with
it but many hosting services may not support it. Lots of hosting services offer
a choice of Unix or Windows, Mac is much less common.

Regards

Geoff

Geoff and Kaye
k...@kgweb.org.au