A note for anyone using the amazing scanning app, Vuescan, with a Canon scanner.

If you download the current version of the mighty scanning program, Vuescan,
which is V9, and immediately try to scan with a Canon scanner, then you will be
told that the app can't find a scanner. The trick is to first get Info on
Vuescan and then set it to open in 32-bit mode. Then all of the power of
Vuescan returns, albeit slower than it would be in 64-bit mode.

My VueScan 9 x64 didn't work, so I emailed Vuescan's author, Ed Hamrick, with
this problem late last night (Saturday) and this morning (Sunday) his reply was
already there, as follows:

> Hi Ray,
>
> The problem is that the Canon driver for this program doesn't
> have 64-bit code in the universal binary.  That's why you need
> to run VueScan x32.
>
> Regards,
> Ed Hamrick

I know of no other complex app that has the author providing nearly instant
support on a weekend afternoon.

In case you don't know about Vuescan, it is the most powerful scanning software
I know of, and drives about 1100 different scanners and digital cameras. Ed
Hamrick has been supplying and curating this app for the last 11 years.
<http://www.hamrick.com/>. As with any piece of powerful software, it has great
depth, and there is much to learn. However, with a colour-calibrated screen,
and getting Vuescan to calibrate my scanner, I am now getting scans from my
flatbed that are the equal of the expensive drum scans I used to pay big money
for in past years. The app also allows you to calibrate your printer, so you
get what you see, within the physical limits of your printer. I highly
recommend that when you buy a copy you pay the US$80 for the Pro version as you
then get upgrades for life and all of the calibration features.

Does anyone know of a better-value app?

PS VueScan 9 x64 runs under Mac OS X 10.5+, and Intel only. VueScan 9 x32 runs
under Mac OS X 10.3.9+ and Intel/PowerPC. The one downloaded installer contains
every one of these flavours.

Regards,

Ray Forma
Tel +61 (0)8 9335 6568