From: wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au [mailto:wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au] On
Behalf Of Ronda Brown
Sent: Tuesday, 11 January 2011 9:55 AM
To: WAMUG Mailing List
Subject: Re: Attachments/Displayed

On 11/01/2011, at 8:13 AM, Peter Hinchliffe wrote:

On 10/01/2011, at 4:55 PM, Severin Crisp wrote:

When sending emails with images as attachments from Mail to Windows
users, there is a complaint that the images display but are not seen as
saveable as attachments should be.   There is no problem with Mail to
Mail emails and I can see nothing relevant in Mail settings.

        Has anyone any words of wisdom on this, please.

        Severin Crisp

One thing that seems to work is to make sure that, before you send the
attachment, right click on it (if it displayed as an image in your
composed message) and choose "View as Icon" from the popup menu, then
make sure that you place the attachment at the very bottom of the
message. I'm still not sure why this should make a difference, but it
seems to.

Hi Severin & Peter,

When you right-click on an image & choose "View as Icon" from the
contextual menu, this affects only your view, not the way it appears to
the recipient. Even though a file appears as an icon on your screen, it
may appear inline on the recipient's screen.

To be certain that a graphic does not appear inline, you must compress
the file before attaching it-Mail, sadly, lacks a built-in compression
option.

The easiest way to compress a file (in Windows-friendly Zip format)
using Leopard or Snow Leopard  is to select the file in the Finder and
choose File > Compress "filename".

In Tiger, select the file in the Finder and choose File > Create Archive
of "filename".

Always use Windows-friendly attachments: Sending attachments in "Windows
friendly" format (omits resource forks, if they exist).

To tell Mail to use Windows-friendly encoding for all new messages,
choose Edit > Attachments > Send Windows-Friendly Attachments.

Use rich text format for graphics: Although it's no guarantee of what
will show up on the other end, you'll improve your odds of having
graphics show up correctly if you use rich text rather than plain text.

Always include file extensions: Extensions at the end of a file's name.

Place Attachments at the bottom of an email (below your Signature)

To force them to go to the bottom of the message: For a single message,
with that message window open: choose Edit > Attachments > Insert
Attachments at End of Message.

For all messages, with no message window open: Choose Edit > Attachments
> Always Insert Attachments at End of Message.

This does not affect whether an attachment appears as an icon.

I  send a lot of images as attachments to Windows Users and have not had
any of the recipients experiencing any problems.

I always use the above recommendations which are found in "Take Control
Of Apple Mail in Snow Leopard".

17" MacBook Pro  Intel Core i7
2.66GHz / 8GB / 1067 MHz DDR3 / 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200rpm

OS X 10.6.6 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)

*****************************
NOTICE - This message from Hatch is intended only for the use of the individual
or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information which is
privileged, confidential or proprietary.
Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, arrive late or contain
viruses. By communicating with us via e-mail, you accept such risks.  When
addressed to our clients, any information, drawings, opinions or advice
(collectively, "information") contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms
and conditions expressed in the governing agreements.  Where no such agreement
exists, the recipient shall neither rely upon nor disclose to others, such
information without our written consent.  Unless otherwise agreed, we do not
assume any liability with respect to the accuracy or completeness of the
information set out in this e-mail.  If you have received this message in
error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and destroy and delete the
message from your computer.