Hi Denise

I have an iPhone 3G which is unlocked (originally locked to Optus) into which i
put a UK sim when travelling to the UK. All contacts apps etc remain on the
iPhone and are not connected with the sim card.
Your ihone backs up to iTines each time you sync with iTunes so all
setting/contacts/music etc remains intact.

I have PhoneView which i have used to retrieve sms text message from my iPhone
but it is not necessary to use it when swapping sim cards.

Unless I am missing something in your message, i don't think the US sim card
will be any different to using a UK sim card in an Australian un-locked iPhone.

Have a good trip.

Jane