Hi Pete,

Well done in preserving the file! If the update to the iPhone app was free, you
have a painless way to revert to the older version that you just recovered from
Trash. It is easy enough so I will detail it here to give you the option. The
file you recovered should have a .ipa extension, that presumably stands for
"iPhone app".

1) Delete the app from your iTunes library -- in iTunes select Apps in the left
hand selector panel, find the icon of the app in question in the right hand
detail panel, right click or Ctrl-click the icon and select Delete. In the
successive pop-ups select Remove and then Move to Trash.

2) Delete the app from your iPhone -- press and hold the App icon until it
jiggles, then select the X at the top left of the icon and confirm the delete.

3) You can sync your iPhone now to save any version confusion (I am not sure if
this step is necessary)

4) Drag the .ipa file of your old version to the Library pane at the top left
of iTunes.

5) Sync your iPhone again to install the old version to the phone.

And that's it. You can then at some future time upgrade again to the newer
version of the App, but until you want to do that, avoid selecting the app for
upgrade in the app store.

Cheers,
Carlo