Hi Anton,

On 29/03/2011, at 9:28 AM, Antony N. Lord wrote:

> I'm trying to help some people set up a new Samsung SCX series printer. It's
> connected via USB to a Windows 7 PC (with printer sharing and LPD enabled)
> which is hard wired to the router. A Macbook Pro with 10.5.8 is the target
> machine.

On  the Win7 PC, you have turned on the LPD protocol using "turn Windows
features on and off", and ensured the printer is shared?

> Not for love nor money can I get the Mac to see the printer. I've even tried
> adding it as a LPD device (//PCname/Sharename) without luck. Anything I've
> missed? I'm tempted to hang it off a USB print server (I wish people would
> just buy network printers for shared environments!)

When you tell the MBP to look for Printers in System Preferences > Print & Fax
, can you see the Windows 7 computer, but can’t see the attached printer?

Do you get asked for a Windows print server Username & Password, or the Windows
7 User Name & Password?

Have you tried enabling the Guest Account on Windows 7 and then select this on
the MBP?

Have also tried connecting to a folder in your Users directory. For example,
open Finder and select Go > Connect to Server.
Then type smb://computer_name/Users/User_Name/Desktop or even
smb://computer_name/C$.
You should then get prompted for your user account details.
Enter what you believe is correct and see if this connects for you.

When adding the printer on OS X,
If you use the lpd protocol, you will need to enter a queue name (the Windows
printer share name) in the add printer dialog.
If you want to use "Windows Printing," you will have to disable the new
"homegroup" feature of Windows 7, to revert to normal windows sharing (smb).

I admit, I don’t know much about Windows 7 and Printer Sharing. I did once have
a Printer sharing from a WindowsXP computer to three Macs with no problems.

17" MacBook Pro  Intel Core i7
2.66GHz / 8GB / 1067 MHz DDR3 / 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200rpm

OS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)