Hi John,

Yeah, you nearly got it right … just left out the important bit … shut down the
computer first ;-)
I didn’t think it would have been me who suggested to you to  “switch off at
the power point” without first shutting down the computer.

That is a "no no" thing with me, the only time I would ever suggest pulling the
plug on a computer is if there was absolutely no other way to shut the computer
down.

On 31/03/2011, at 12:29 PM, John Daniels wrote:

> Hi Ronni
> That sounds more like it, I nearly got it right.
> Cheers
> John
> On 31/03/2011, at 8:33 AM, Ronda Brown wrote:
>

>> Hi Jon & John,
>>
>> First to John, I can’t remember someone saying to “switch the power off
>> after pressing the startup button”?
>>
>> Are you sure or did it mention:
>> 1. Shut down
>> 2. Remove the power cord from the back of the iMac, wait 15 seconds and plug
>> it back in.
>> 3. Startup the iMac
>>
>> Another fix for the loud fan noise, is to reset the SMC
>>
>> Reset SMC (System Power Controller):
>>
>> 1. Shut down the computer.
>> 2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
>> 3. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
>> 4. Release the power button.
>> 5. Attach the computers power cable.
>> 6. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ronni
>>
>> 17" MacBook Pro  Intel Core i7
>> 2.66GHz / 8GB / 1067 MHz DDR3 / 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200rpm
>>
>> OS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard
>> Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)
>>

>> On 30/03/2011, at 7:32 PM, John Daniels wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Jon
>>> Someone in WAMUG gave me the answer to the loud fan problem a while ago and
>>> it works.  As soon as you press the start button, if the fan is loud switch
>>> off at the power point and then start again. I don't know why it works. Try
>>> it.
>>> Cheers