Hi Tom,

I don’t know what you mean by “some messages refuse to Quit”?
Do you mean some messages “some messages refuse to delete”?

Try 'Rebuilding the Mailbox'.
Select (highlight-click once) the Inbox Mailbox (or what ever Mailbox you have
the problem in),
then choose Mailbox > Rebuild from the Menu Bar

Rebuild recreates the index to the messages and does not cause them to be lost.
During Rebuild all messages will briefly disappear from the list of messages,
but they will reappear.

Try to then delete the messages.

If this is not your problem post back to WAMUG with more information please.

17" MacBook Pro  Intel Core i7
2.66GHz / 8GB / 1067 MHz DDR3 / 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200rpm

OS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)