Hi Chris,

On 04/04/2011, at 2:53 PM, Chris Burton wrote:

> Hi Ronni
>
> Yes it is a very nice machine and it is so good to have some real hard drive
> space and Ram now!!
>
> What a good idea to use System Profiler to check out the Applications! When I
> sorted by Kind, I can actually see how much classic and PowerPC software I
> still have on my machine. You are right, I should have done this before the
> migration, but I didnt know about it!
>
> Is it possible to delete any software from in system profiler somehow, as
> they are all displayed easily. I tried highlighting but cant just 'delete' it?

NO, you can’t delete Applications from within. System Profiler
When you highlight an App
At the bottom of the Window it shows you where it is located.

> Other than that I will have to go back and do them one by one which will take
> ages.

Unfortunately yes, that is what you will have to do.

Don’t just trash the Apps you need to Uninstall them correclty so you get rid
of all its preferences etc.
Uninstall old software you no longer use or require (if you don’t have the
uninstaller for the application, download & use AppZapper:
http://www.appzapper.com/.

> I might need a few of the PowerPC apps so will have to install Rosetta. Will
> run nice and fast on this machine (quad core 2.2)?

Apple notes that Rosetta “dynamically translates most of your PowerPC-based
applications to work with your Intel-based Mac. There’s no emulation. No
second-class status.
It looks and feels just like it did before. On a Mac, you’d expect nothing
less.”

Despite Apple’s assurances I was reluctant to install  Rosetta for fears of
slowing down my MacBook Pro.

I bit the bullet and installed Rosetta and, to my surprise, I noticed no
appreciable performance loss whatsoever.
The good news is that Rosetta runs only when needed, otherwise it isn’t even
loaded.
It’s also pretty small, weighing in at only 2MB.

> Thanks heaps Ronni

You’re welcome Chris, only to pleased to help you.