On 02/05/2011, at 8:50 AM, James / Hans Kunz wrote:

> hello Wamuggers
> the modem (siemens 4200) died over the weekend, there is no access to the
> modem (internal webpage) anymore
> i replaced it with a dynalink rta220 ( i have the manual for this)
> question: does anyone can tell me what the settings are to be used for bigpond
> i tested the modem with the standard settings (pppoa, name & pw) and was able
> to connect to iinet, but no connection to bigpond, the dsl light is on & my
> macbook shows ethernet, network settings & isp on green but internet & server
> on red within the diagnostic (osx .6.7 macbook intel7)
> James

Hi James,

Here are the generic settings as listed on Bigpond (after much digging around -
they don't make it straightforward to use any modems but the ones they supply!):

Settings        Response
ADSL Username   usern...@bigpond.com
Password        your password
Encapsulation   PPPoA VCMUX
PPPOE/LLC NOTE: We recommend using PPPoA/VC Mux as it tends to be
(theoretically) a little faster for customers though both should work fine
Authentication method   CHAP
ADSL1:   G.DMT (This modulation will only allow speeds up to 8Mb/s
ADSL2+:  Select ADSL2+ or Auto
VPI (Virtual path identifier)   8
VCI (Virtual channel identifier)        35
Modem IP        10.0.0.138 (2wire, Siemens, Thomson)

From my experience, the settings that make the difference are the VPI and VCI
settings. For your reference, I found this at
<http://bigpond.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17143>

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948