Hi Pat

Not quite sure what you are doing or what stage you're at.  Updates and Syncing
processes are done from the devices themselves (mainly iTunes) - no need to go
to App Store for this.   I assume you have now updated iTunes to vers 10.2.2 as
a precursor to plugging in your iPad.  I also assume you have a Mac with OSX
10.5.8 or later.  (To update iTunes in a Mac load itunes, select Check for
Update from the iTunes menu.)   iPad and iTunes will also work with a PC of
course.

I emphasise; there is no need to go to the Apple site via Safari for most
iPad/iTune set up sequences.  All the hard work is done inside iTunes.

For initial set up, registration, iPad IOS update and syncing there are a
number of options.  I set up my iMac to prevent syncing iDevices automatically
so I had control over the initial phases.   iPad may or may not start Itunes
automatically when plugged in.  In iTunes the iPad should appear as a device in
the left field where it lists your  Libraries, Store, Devices and Playlists.
Then you can select the iPad and continue with registration, IOS update, etc.
I also turned Time Machine and Mac Sleep off during the initial sync phase.

Come back with more specific actions you have taken if you still need help.
(You can download the iPad User Manual to your main computer in PDF format,
which may be a help.)

Welcome to the iPad - you will enjoy it when you get it working.

Regards, Alan

 iMac 21.5"  Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06GHz 4MB OSX 10.6.7; iPad2; ATV2