Hi Glenn,

There is a lot of information out there regarding this, and you will get
opposing opinions from people with a string of letters after their name.
There are a number of trials going on and I can put you into contact with
some schools already using them. Don¹t get caught up in comparing a laptop
to an iPad. They are different (obviously). I¹ve had discussions with
secondary schools trying to get the most out of the $1000 per student
provided but I think it¹s wrong to decide on price. There is a line of
thinking that the iPad is a great device for Primary school students because
the majority of the time they are accessing content. I¹ve seen many schools
with trolleys of laptops checked out only to run a
maths/science/english/spelling program or some other web delivered content.
You don¹t need a laptop for that.

Here¹s some information below which others may have already provided;
http://www.ipadsforeducation.vic.edu.au/
http://wmaccommunity.com/wmacipadprogram
http://learningwithipads.blogspot.com/

Cheers,