On 11/05/2011, at 3:50 PM, Pedro wrote:

> Afternoon all
>
> Could all the web guru's out there please comment on the difference and
> benefits of  Sandvox over iWeb. I know Peter H will have a strong
> opinion on this one as I remember he gave a great presentation awhile back at
> one of the monthly meetings.
>
> I love the simplicity of iWeb but I understand it bloats out the web site if
> you are not careful
>
> MacUpdate are having a promo at the moment and Sandvox is 35% off

My 5c worth (as predicted  :-) )

My biggest complaint against iWeb, while it's a delight to use and extremely
flexible, is its complete lack of support for forms. This simply takes it out
of the picture for most business purposes where you're looking for any form of
customer feedback, etc.

I do like Sandvox, but also recommend it with some reservations. Version 2
(just released yesterday) brings some badly needed improvements (such resizable
graphics!), but still lacks the complete design freedom provided by iWeb. On
the other hand, it does allow HTML code injection, which allows you to modify
the HTML code in selected parts of the page, something else that iWeb does not
allow. You are pretty much constrained in your design by the template you chose
to work with, which is one of its frustrations, although things have improved
slightly with version 2 (which I'm still coming to grips with).

Sandvox's greatest strength is the speed it provides in allowing you to set up
a reasonably complex site, complete with forms, interactivity with a range of
services such as Facebook, a blog if you want it, rich media pages, etc,
without knowing a line of code. It is quite adequate for setting up a useful
commercial site.

It's no Dreamweaver, but then those looking at iWeb or Sandvox (or RapidWeaver
and others of the same ilk) are not looking for a Dreamweaver substitute. For
those who are looking for something with that sort of power (but MUCH cheaper
and more modern), I strongly recommend having a look a Flux from The Escapers
(www.theescapers.com/flux).

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948