Thanks Ronda, will check your link out, then perhaps I won't have to bother
Kevin to explain it to me.
Derek
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ronda Brown
  Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 1:20 PM
  Subject: Re: e-mac problem

  Hi Derek,

  Yes, the PRAM (or "backup") battery is dead, probably from the computer being
unplugged from wall power for an extended period.

  Instructions for installing the new battery are here:

  <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3005>

  The battery is a 1/2AA 3.6V lithium.

  17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
  2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

  OS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard
  Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)