Hi Jon

The simple answer is yes you can - I was sitting alongside our Vietnamese
interpreter in rural Viet Nam just last month with our respective MBPs
tapping away - me in English and our interpreter was typing away on her
machine in Vietnamese.

To do this on your computer open system preferences choose language and
text, click on input sources, select Vietnamese and hopefully you will be
away (using MacOS 10.6.7 at least).

Dave