Hi John,
Have you monitored your activity on machine at said time of day. Activity
Monitor, or logs, http://www.splunk.com/
It does not have to be Wireless, it was an easy one to deduce as being point of
infiltration.

Your machines could be compromised many other places.
Reason for questioning neighbour is  pair gaining of the ADSL connection?

Technician has found no errors, everything is OK;  obviously not, as it still
is happening.

No new hardware is going to solve this issue either, there has to be a reason
for a drop then a return; it is not ADSL behaviour.
Congestion does not assimilate a logical explanation.

Reduction of speed would stay at that speed it would not recover unless one
resets modem so it terminates connection.
A reconnection would see speeds back where they are supposed to be. This
possibly is a hardware issue?
But if modem is sustaining connection, and speed slows significantly, then
speed returns to what it was before.
Something is tapping into your connection. Internally usually, but could be
external?
Pair Gaining is a possibility, so check with neighbours. Then question ISP or
Telstra..

http://goo.gl/2CbrE

Cheers!
`RobD...