Hi Derek,

I’ve included FYI my post to WAMUG back on 30 June 2011 Subject: Installing
10.6.8 update:
Follow these instructions and you should not experience any problems.
-----
Download the OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo from here:
<http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399>

Install OS X Updates correctly:

DON’T FORGET:
1. Backup your system BEFORE installing the Combo Update (or Update).

2. Repair Permissions before and after installing the Combo Update (or Update).

3. Turn OFF Time Machine in System Preferences

4. Unmount & Disconnect any External USB & Firewire Drives / Time Machine

5. Install the Combo Update (or Update)

6. Run Software Update after installing the Updates

7. Repair Permissions

8. Connect your Backup Drive

9. Go to System Preferences > Time Machine and Turn Time Machine ON
    Let Time Machine complete a  backup.

** Apple warning for installing Updates:
Do not interrupt the installation process once you have started to update your
system.

As I have said numerous times on WAMUG List “Do Not Upgrade if anything is
amiss with your system”.

As is the case with all updates, if there’s anything at all amiss with your
system before the update, the update is likely to expose them.