On 18/07/2011, at 8:24 PM, Alexander Hartner wrote:
> I just saw an email from a friend which was digitally signed. Digital
> signatures are really cool for a number of reasons:
>
> 1.) Verify the sender of the email
> 2.) Can be used to send encrypted email between trusted parties. Prevent
> interception
> 3.) Create a circle of trust.
> 4.) Can be used to prevent spam. If everybody only accepted digitally signed
> certificates, it would be very easy to block / filter all spam. I am being
> utopian here :-)
>
> In any case a while back Thawte offered free email certificates, but stopped
> since. I see now that Comodo are offering free email certificates
>
> http://www.comodo.com/home/email-security/free-email-certificate.php

I wrote a step by step guide on how to setup Personal Email Certificates under
Mac OS X back in the Dec 2010 issue of the AppleUsers Spotlight (Pages 22-24,
http://www.appleusers.org/magazine/december-2010january-2011-appleusers-spotlight-released/
 )

This guide lets you use Safari and Comodo Certificates (most guides on the net
require you to use FireFox and the Thawte certificates that are no longer free)

It is really very simple to install a free Personal Mail Certificate under Mac
OS X and I recommend it to anyone who sends any email [This message has been
Digitally Signed... hopefully the mailing list accepts it - some don't]

--
Nicholas Pyers (nicho...@appleusers.org)
Founder & Publisher, AppleUsers.org

http://www.appleusers.org/