Hi Wammuggers,

I just wanted clear up possible confusion for anyone else who happens to
casually read this thread and might get the impression that the upgrade to OS X
10.7 Lion is a difficult move. The standard upgrade to OS X 10.7 Lion is dead
easy and works very well for most situation. Just follow a slightly modified
version of Ronni's normal steps for an upgrade:

1. Download the Lion OS X 10.7 upgrade app from the Mac App Store.
2. Backup your system -- use Time Machine and / or a bootable clone to an
external disk.
3. Repair permissions before the upgrade.
4. Turn off Time Machine in System Preferences.
5. Unmount and disconnect any external USB and firewire drives.
6. Run the Lion OS X 10.7 upgrade app and apply it to your OS X10.6 (or
earlier) install.
7. Repair permissions again.
8. Run Software Update to get any upgrades to apps or point releases of the
operating system.
9. Reconnect your backup drive.
10. Turn on Time Machine in System Preferences and complete a backup.
(Optionally make another clone to a different external drive -- I did).

And that's it!

If as in Peter's case you want to trim down your apps you can do this before or
after the upgrade -- just remember to get a backup before you start deleting
stuff incase you go one step to far. :-) Peter on rethinking your situation, I
think this would be the easiest path for you as well.

You might also take the opportunity do go through your data files, movies,
photos and songs and delete duplicates and unwanted relics.

Cheers,
Carlo

With thanks to Ronni who's canonical upgrade steps I paraphrased above.