Hi Lloyd,

4GB RAM … I would be at least doubling the memory.
The minimum requirements to just install Lion is 2GB RAM,  but experts
recommend at least 8GB.
Once you factor in everything you’ll be doing with Lion, like watching videos,
organising photos and music, web browsing, and so much more.
Lion incorporates a lot of 'instant load' and apps always running, it needs a
lot of memory.

With Lion:
- 2010 MacBook Air with 4GB: - Safari Web Content = 98% of 1 core &  650-950MB
memory hog
- 2010 iMac with 16GB: -             Safari Web Content = 4% of 1 core and
300MB (stable) memory usage

I read this information on Apple Discussions when Lion was first released:
———
/Quote:
People with Macs which have 4GBs of RAM are asking, "Why is my Mac so slow
under Lion, when it worked fine with Snow Leopard?"

I have suggestions for you if you are considering upgrading to Lion, no matter
how much RAM you have, but especially if you have 4GBs or less.  Lion uses more
RAM, and this may hurt your performance after the move to Lion.  You need to
plan for this

        • Check Activity Monitor for Page Outs after you have been using your
Mac normally for some hours.
           If Page Outs are zero or very close to zero, then you'll probably be
happy with Lion
        • If Page Outs are not zero, identify your most commonly used apps
which are significant consumers of RAM, and change them so that     they run in
32 bit mode, not 64 bits, then reboot
        • Again, check Activity Monitor for Page Outs after you have been using
your Mac normally for some hours.  If Page Outs are zero or very close to zero,
then you'll probably be happy with Lion
        • If you are still getting Page Outs, then try running fewer apps
concurrently, but only if you can live with this compromise
        • If you still haven't reduced Page Outs to almost zero, then either
stay with Snow Leopard, or upgrade your RAM
/End Quote:
———

My advice is always to have more RAM than you need.

Here there is a good explanation of how the new memory management works in
Cocoa:
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/10#cocoa-memory>
Ars itself shows it as a potential memory leak and it may explain where some of
the memory goes.
At least in Safari that keeps growing.

The full review is very interesting but it is 19 pages long!! Still very good
for references.
You may check the first page, it has an index as well.
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: the Ars Technica review

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
OS X 10.7 Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)