Hi Michael,

Scroll bars tend to disappear in Lion. In Safari and the Finder they’re not
there until you scroll with the trackpad or arrow keys. The scroll bars fade in
while scrolling and quickly disappear.
This gives more visible area for content, be it a web page or picture
thumbnails in the Finder.
So you don’t panic at the lack of scroll bars, the Lion welcome app makes sure
it tells you how to scroll with two fingers on the trackpad.

Sent from Ronni's iPad