On 08/09/2011, at 10:15 AM, Tim Law wrote:

> On 08/09/2011, at 8:50 AM, Ronda Brown wrote:
>

>> On 08/09/2011, at 4:52 AM, Rick Armstrong wrote:
>>

>>> For some reason Mail has triplicates of recent received messages from 1
>>> Sept to 8 Sept.
>>> 1. Mail has now 931 unread triplicate messages.
>>> 2. I cannot delete them.
>>> 3. I have trashed the ‘Envelope Index’ but Mail crashes when I launch Mail,
>>> (looks like it is trying to import and rebuild about 12,000 messages before
>>> it quits).
>>> 4. As nothing has happened I have put the ‘Envelope Index’ back into Mail
>>> (Users>Library>Mail)
>>> 5. I have done the "rebuild" and synchronise" account.
>>> 6. I have to send this from my iBook because I can't receive or send emails
>>> now.
>>> The hard drive is getting full and I have tried to clear some space but
>>> perhaps it is not enough to enable Mail to rebuild.
>>> (My quick solution is to go to Officeworks this morning and get an external
>>> to clear a lot more space on the hard drive OR if the group can suggest
>>> somewhere else to get an external quickly, I have to do this anyway because
>>> the drive is getting towards capacity)
>>> Thanks, Rick
>>> Tiger 10.4.11
>>
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> Is this a POP Account and are you leaving Mail on The Server?
>> If it is and you are leaving mail on the server, go to Mail > File >
>> Preferences > Select the Account, select the Advanced Tap, check "Remove
>> copy from server after retrieving a message:", and select “Remove Now”.
>> That will leave nothing on the mail server if you are comfortable with that.
>> Then, manually delete any additional messages that may be taking up extra
>> space.
>>
>> You can then remove as much as possible from your Hard Drive until you have
>> enough Free Space on it.
>> Sounds like your Mail might require some clearing out and your Hard Drive.
>>

> Hi Rick,
>
> If you still cannot open Mail for it crashing, you may be able to remove all
> the mail on the server by logging in via webmail and clearing everything
> there. At least then poor Mail is not trying to download 931 messages again
> immediately on opening.
>
> Tim

Hi Tim,

What I mentioned above should remove all messages from the Mail Server, why
would Rick need to login to webmail also?

Rick,  also check In Mail, open  ‘Get Account Info' window by choosing it from
the Action menu (gear icon) located below the Mailbox list in the main Mail
window.
Do the messages that Mail keeps downloading repeatedly appear there?
If they are, select them and choose ‘Remove From Server’.

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
OS X 10.7 Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)