Having been peripherally involved in the development of several generations of
Standard Operating Environments for locking down PCs and Macs in large scale
Enterprise environments over the last few decades, I can attest to the fact
that securing and supporting iPhones and iPads can be significantly easier than
desktop and laptop systems depending on how you want them remotely managed etc
though not of course without a few issues.

With built-in encryption, Exchange support, remote-wipe, Find My iPhone/iPad
features, app level sand-boxing, App Store curation of all apps, remote profile
features and gob-smackingly easy to use Multi-touch interfaces, iOS devices are
virtually immune to malware (unlike malware-riddled Android and Windows), a
piece of cake for toddlers to grandmothers to use and soooo much easier than
our old corporate smartphone standard (Windows Mobile) to use and support that
I tend to cough in disbelief when people poo-poo the iPad's enterprise cred.

Yes I agree there are issues with provisioning of apps to users at a large
scale and other gotchas that can be infuriating which Apple really needs to
sort out, but for the first time ever, we find that the most Luddite middle
manager or academic is actually keen to dabble with technology and *gasp*
actually use it and not have it go flat halfway thru the day.

For sure they aren't perfect and certainly not a silver bullet, but I am glad
at the catalyst iOS devices have proved to be to get many corporates and
businesses to move away from the old IE6-only activeX-hobbled, proprietary
enterprise systems and embrace open standards and the consumerisation of IT.

Oh and I know budget constraints make schools want their devices to be
multi-user, but really, that tends to defeat the whole concept behind this most
personal of personal computers.

Anyway, my 2c worth.  :-)

-Mart