On 30/09/2011, at 7:39 AM, Peter Hinchliffe wrote:

> On 29/09/2011, at 4:37 PM, Ronda Brown wrote:
>
>> Hi Juliet,
>>
>> Firstly, Pages is not the best Application for really large documents.
>>

> Hmm... I have a Pages document which currently sits at 205 pages, complete
> with Table of Contents, and which opens instantly. OTOH, my experience with
> MS Word and files of this size is much less happy...

Hi People,

I knew as soon as I posted that “One Liner” it could be taken in the wrong
context … I’m not good at 'one liners' and should never do them ;-)
I agree with what everyone has posted about Pages’09. I have been using iWork
ever since it’s first release and every improved release since.
In my opinion iWork’09 is a brilliant suite of Applications. I use Pages
exclusively for all my documents / tutorials / newsletters etc.

I know of a writer who uses Pages to write his books, his last was 125,000
words, without any problem. The automatic word counter in the footer of ‘Word’
stops at 99,999 ….

In the email that I made the ‘One Liner’, I was trying to work out ‘why’ or
‘how’ Juliet's problem happened, so I could then perhaps work out a way to
‘fix’ the problem and save her Pages Document.

When Juliet mentioned:
> added 3 pages
> saved took a long time went to reopen message " could not open required xml
> index file could not be found”.

So, my first thoughts were  ‘A Crash’, ’Not enough RAM (Memory), ’Not enough
Free Space on her Hard Drive’ or ’Not a fast enough Processor’.
For some reason Pages did not save the complete file … hence the message  "
could not open required xml index file could not be found”.

I find Pages works extremely well as long as it has plenty of RAM, Free Hard
Drive Space & a fast enough processor to handle the large jobs.
Juliet did not give any information about what version of Pages, what OS X,
any details of the computer she is using for me to ascertain ‘why’ did this
happen.

I do the best I can with the very limited information that some people give. As
I’ve said before “I’m not a mind reader, I can’t see what is on your computer,
you have to tell me” ;-)
For a problem to be solved it is best to give as much information as you
possibly can.

But hey, I do LOVE PAGES’09!

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
OS X 10.7 Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)