Hi Merv,

You have not given details of which iMac G5 you have. You would find getting an
Extreme Card for your iMac a much better option.   Some USB Wireless Adapters
have only WEP Security and also lose connection frequently.

What are the details of the USB Wireless Adapter?
What USB Part# is it?
<http://www.ralinktech.com/en/02_products/product_list2.php?cata2_sn=303&cata3_sn=409>

Normally these USB Wireless Adapters have very specific instructions about
installation.
Either to install all the software first and then connect the USB device or
vice versa.

Perhaps uninstall everything, disconnect  the USB device and start over.
Perhaps try installing the drivers before connecting the device?

<http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support/support.php?sn=502>

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.7.2 Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)