Hi Adrian,

You don’t mention what version of Apple Mail you are using, but have you tried
to Rebuild the Sent Mail Box?
Try using Rebuild on this On My Mac mailbox (from drop-down under Mailbox in
the menubar).
Select the Mailbox, then choose Mailbox -> Rebuild

Usually this condition and resolution means the messages had actually meant to
be deleted (or moved to another mailbox), but the list of messages still
contained a flawed reference.
Rebuild will not cause the loss of actual messages still present in the mailbox
folder.

If that doesn’t get rid of the email for you.
Another possible solution:

Is your stubborn message gray or black?
If black, highlight, click on Edit and choose Cut.

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.7.2 Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)