Hi Brett,

Lion Mail is different and it does take some getting used to.

In my early days of learning Lion Mail I sometimes did resort to changing to
‘Classic Layout’.
Mail > Preferences > Viewing select ‘Use Classic Mode’

But in the Default Mail view, I find search is much improved to previous
versions of Mail.
Search has changed in Lion Mail.

When you start typing a search into the Mail search field, grouped search
suggestions appear in a drop-down menu.
There are also search tokens, which appear when you type in a person's name, a
phrase, or some specific label.
The tokens often have a small drop-down associated with them which shows
available options.
Search tokens can be combined to create very focused searches of your mailbox.

Attachments can also be searched. Creating a search token for "attachments"
looks for messages with attachments, and adding another search word will look
for that word in the attachments.

More information on Lion Mail & searching can be found here:

<http://www.macworld.com/article/161256/2011/07/mail_lion.html>

<http://jacobonline.wordpress.com/2011/06/18/mac-os-x-lion-10-7-deep-dive-mail/>

Mail in Lion saves all its Data your ‘hidden’ User Library > Mail.
Attachments are in a folder within your User Library  ~Library > Mail > V2 in
this folder you will see all your Mail IMAP & POP Accounts & Mailboxes you have
setup.
Select the Account & Mailbox you wish to check for attachments.

Much easier to find the attachment or messages in the Mail Application using
the Search fields ;-)

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.7.3 Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)