Hi Adrian,

Importing into iTunes is the standard way to get movies onto your iPad or Apple
TV. Some ripping software will put them into iTunes for you directly.  Others
WAMUGites will know better than me about the options out there.

For viewing on your iPad, if you are at home rather than travelling, you can
stream the movies directly from your Mac. The streaming software will convert
on the fly from many formats (WMA, flash, etc.) to iPad suitable .m4v / .mp4. I
use Air Video for this. You buy the low priced iPad app and download the Mac
side of the software for free.

Cheers,
Carlo