Hi Carlo & 'MUGites,

I had read earlier in the week, possibly in 'Naked Security - Sophos' news
letter, that Microsoft had patched this weakness. Microsoft Security TechCenter
seems to confirm this at:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/MS09-027

Without wanting to spread panic, I think that we as Mac users must now learn to
be cautious and apply safety rules meticulously.

Have a nice weekend all,

Philippe

On 30/03/2012, at 1:04 AM, cm wrote:

> Hi 'MUGites,
>
> If you run Microsoft Word beware of opening unsourced Word documents. A new
> attack targeting Mac users relies on them opening a Word document that
> exploits a flaw in MS Word to install a trojan on their machine.
>
> Here is the summary for a news aggregator site that I follow:
>
> "Welcome to the age of targeted attacks, Mac users. Perhaps having grown
> tired of owning Windows machines around the world for the last few years,
> attackers have now taken up the challenge of going after Macs with the same
> kind of targeted attack tactics that have served them so well in the Windows
> world. Researchers have found a new attack that employs two separate pieces
> of malware, a malicious Word document and some techniques for maintaining
> persistence on compromised machines, and the campaign is specifically
> targeted at Mac users. The command-and-control domain involved in the attack
> is located in China and the attack exploits a three-year-old vulnerability in
> the way that Office for Mac handles certain Word files, according to
> researchers at AlienVault, who discovered and analyzed the attacks."
>
> and here are the two articles linked in the summary:
>
> https://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/maccontrol-trojan-being-used-targeted-attacks-against-os-x-users-032812
>
> http://labs.alienvault.com/labs/index.php/2012/ms-office-exploit-that-targets-macos-x-seen-in-the-wild-delivers-mac-control-rat/
>
> The articles do not say if the vulnerability has been patched in later
> version of MS Word.
>
> Cheers,
> Carlo

Philippe Chaperon