Hi Glenn,

I’m not sure that I understand your problem correctly, so please tell if I’m
completely on the ‘wrong track’ ;-)

Firstly, if you are like me and don’t find “All My Files” that useful, you can
do what I have done and 'hide it away’.
The first thing is remove it from the Sidebar. Simply Right-Click /
Control-Click on it and choose 'Remove from Sidebar’.
If you ever want it back, simply go to the Sidebar tab in the Finder
Preferences and re-select it.

At first glance that’s all you need to do, but you’ll soon notice that every
new Finder window now opens with "All My Files” displayed by default. To change
this back to the Snow Leopard behaviour of showing your home folder, simply go
to the Finder Preferences (located in the Finder menu) and change the 'New
Finder windows show': drop-down menu.

“All My Files” provides an easy way to see all of your most recently used
documents, regardless of where they are actually saved. They are organised
‘Arrange By’ Kind (e.g. images, PDFs, music) and each section has a fancy
“coverflow” way of scrolling. You can get this type of display for any folder
you want — simply use icon view, and then choose 'Arrange by' Kind

For those that are curious, All My Files is just a simple saved search, a
feature that was actually introduced with Snow Leopard.

Lion's Finder gives you four ways to view your files: icon view, list view,
column view and Cover Flow view.
But it also gives you some new ways to arrange files within those views: In
addition to 'Arrange By’, Lion adds 'Sort By' and 'Clean Up By'. Unfortunately,
those arrangements aren't so straightforward.

The three sorting tools do have three distinct functions: 'Arrange By’ lets you
organize files into groups.
The new 'Sort By' option does much of what 'Arrange By' did in the past. And
'Clean Up By' is a kind of impermanent 'Sort By’.
I have all my Finder Windows in Column View, but I find having my Downloads
‘Arrange By’ - ‘Date Added’ very useful.
But the three options aren’t always available in all Finder views.
Sometimes you can combine them; sometimes you can’t.

After the above ‘Intro’ I decided to search my Lion Bookmarks as I’m sure
Macworld would also have this article online, and yes they do and this is the
link:
<http://www.macworld.com/article/1162008/arrange_sort_files_lion_finder.html>

If you don’t find your answer to your Finder View problem Glenn, please post
back.

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.7.3 Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)