Hi again Peter,

Thinking more on Snow Leopard TM Backups on an older Mac to a New Mac running
Lion. I’ve always preferred and found it is safer to use Migration Assistant &
Firewire Target Disk Mode to Transfer your Data from your Old Mac to a New Mac.
If you didn’t have the old Mac because the hard drive dies, then I would do the
TM Restore.

Using TM Backup would work; I’ve done it quite a few times after total Erase of
a Computer and re-install of the Operating System, then Restore from TM backup.
But as your ‘in the future scenario', the backup has been created on a
different Mac and if there happens to be any corruption in the backup there
‘could’ be a problem.
When you get a new computer from Apple, it has a specific version of Mac OS X
installed on it, and further, a specific "build” number.

If it was me, I would use Migration Assistant & Firewire Target Disk Mode to
connect the Old Mac to the New Mac to transfer everything across.

When the time comes I can give you the link to a Tutorial on my support website
that I did some time back showing you  “How To Transfer Your Data From Your Old
Mac To A New Mac”.

Daniel and other Apple Consultants I think will agree with agree with me as I
feel fairly sure that they would recommend Migration Assistant and Firewire
Target Disk Mode to connect both Macs via Firewire cable, when both the Old and
New Computers are available.

Ultimately of course it is your decision which way you go, I can only give you
advice based on my experiences.

Almost forgot to ask you if you are also doing other backups of the computers?
Don’t rely on just TM backups, you also need other backups as well.
We have covered Backups fairly extensively on WAMUG Mailing list … I know I
have, even to the extent that someone suggested I was intimidating ;-))
If people saw as many times as I have how devastated people are when their Data
can not be recovered from a totally dead Hard Drive, they would make sure they
had in place a ‘Good Backup Strategy’.

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.7.3 Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)