Hi Stephen,

Using an encrypted sparse bundle as outlined by Ray is indeed an option. If you
son is running OS X Lion he also has the option of encrypting the entire
external drive using FileVault. The new FileVault method has a few advantages
over the older sparse bundle method but be warned that you will only be able to
read the drive on machines running Lion.

Here is a step-by-step tutorial for encrypting an external drive with FileVault.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1161415/lion_encrypt_external_drive.html

Note that the security scare regarding passwords being visible when using
FileVault does not apply to this situation as you are using the Lion version of
FileVault on Lion and not the Snow Leopard version of FileVault on Lion. (It
does not apply to sparse bundle method either.)

Cheers,
Carlo