Hi Adrian,

IMAP (SSL) is my recommendation, others might disagree.

Have a good read of "The Case For Email Security" at this link:
<http://luxsci.com/blog/the-case-for-email-security.html>

Especially  Section 5: Securing Your Email With SSL or TLS

Extract taken from the Article /
"SSL: It is simple and easy to use SSL to secure the communications between
your computers and your email service provider’s computers.
This works no matter who your recipients are. SSL improves security in these
ways:
                It establishes that you are contacting your service provider’s
computers and not someone else’s
                It encrypts the username and password that you use to login to
these servers. This mitigates identity theft and other issues.
                It protects your message from eavesdroppers between your
computer and your SMTP server.

The easiest thing you can do to make your email more secure is to use an email
provider that supports “Secure Socket Layer” (SSL) for their Webmail, POP,
IMAP, and SMTP servers. TLS is a type of SSL that can be initiated during a
mail session; unlike TLS, SSL must be initiated before sending the email (see
SSL versus TLS – What’s the difference?)."
End of Extract/

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.7.4 Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)