Hi Chris,

Are you only deleting some files on the thumb drive or all the files?
If deleting all the files use Dick Utility to erase the thumb drive.

If only trying to delete some files on the thumb drive and they are not
password protected.

Have you tried Relaunching Finder?
Option click & hold on Finder icon in the dock > Relaunch
Try to delete the files again.

Or restart your Mac, then try again.

Remember you have to empty the trash on the Mac before you eject the thumb
drive.
Otherwise every time you connect the thumb drive to a computer the files will
show in the trash.