Hi Bill and friends

I went through a process of looking for a low budget vector graphics app a
few months back and after reading through several reviews and looking for
alternatives to freehand and/or illustrator on alternativeto.net I
purchased iDraw. So far it is doing the job nicely for what I do. Not sure
how it would go for complex diagrams but the demos on their website
www.indeeo.com/idraw/ will give you a bit of an idea if it will suit you.
It also has matching iPad app but I have not bothered with that at this
stage.
For reviews of various mac apps you may find something on mac.appstorm.net.

There is always the open source Inkscape but  like many open source
projects it is powerfully featured but the interface and user experience is
a big tricky to get used to.

For non vector graphics (photos etc) I use Pixelmator which is excellent.
Not nearly as powerful as photoshop but for a fraction of the price does
most things I can think to ask of it.

Hope this helps

Shayne