Hi Alan

For comparison, I have a late 2009 Macbook Pro with the same Processor as
yours, 8 GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive with only 47GB free.
I have not seen a noticeable slowdown since installing Mountain Lion.
Generally it seems to be business as usual.
Given my experience I would suspect that your problem may be a software
issue.

Hope this helps to give you some comparative info on similar hardware.

Regards

Shayne