Hi Allen,

A 'Erase' and 'Clean Install' of Snow Leopard is what is says...  you wipe your
hard drive and reinstall the Operating System.
When you've been using your Mac for a while, installing and deleting lots of
apps and Operating Systems & add-ons, and your hard drive has become littered
with lots of unnecessary gunk and cruft: orphaned application-support and
preference files, abandoned preference panes, and the like.

When you perform a Clean "Fresh" Install you don't want to use Setup or
Migration Assistant to bring over everything from your backup.
Instead, you should manually copy your personal data and then reinstall just
those apps and add-ons you actually use.

"Fresh" means no possibly corrupt TimeMachine, Migration Assistant, or Clone
Restores.
New OS X, programs and only vetted files returned.

Allen, if you only have the one partition "Macintosh HD"  (No other partitions)
What I would recommend you do is:

1. Erase the entire drive of all partitions:
That means selecting the 'entire internal boot drive', it has the Drive Makers
name and size, do not select the indented names, those (or if only one) are
just partitions on the drive, you need to erase the entire drive to catch
everything, rebuild the GUID Partition Table and the Hidden EFI partition.

2. Click Erase > Security option > Zero All Data (will map off any failing
sectors) this does take a long time, but improves your hard drives reliability
and read speeds.
Check under Partition: Options that you have a GUID and Format: OS X Extended
Journaled, if not change it to those and apply.

3. Quit Disk Utility. You will be back into the 10.6 installer.
   You have erased the internal drive via the 10.6 disk and need to Install
Fresh.

4. Install OS X 10.6

5. After installation completes and Reboots, Setup and use the same User Name &
Password as before  ... why? because you can place your user files from backup
and your iTunes playlists, permissions etc work. Unless you don't want to use
the same name, then you lose the playlists and have to recreate them, change
the permissions for files etc.

6. Use Software Update to get up to 10.6.8 fully, repeat until clear.  This is
very important to do or you'll have problems later.

3: Install all programs from fresh original sources and compatible with 10.6.8

4: Once you have all your third party software installed (as best as you can of
course) next is to connect your backup drive.

Return the contents of those user files folders: Music, Pictures, Movies,
Documents etc (NOT Library) to their respective folders in each account.

NOTE: It is a Time Consuming project and a fairly daunting task, and if you
don't feel comfortable doing it, I suggest you hire a consultant (I recommend
MacWizardry-Daniel Kerr) to do the Erase and Clean Install / Setup / and
transfer of relevant data and files for you.
It will cost as it does take a lot of work.
I know because I have done Erase and Clean Installs ;-)

On 12/10/2012, at 4:09 PM, Allen Gladwell <all...@amnet.net.au> wrote:

> [...]
>> final step in troubleshooting.
>>
>> Options to "Erase and Install" and "Archive and Install" are no longer
>> present in the Mac OS X 10.6 installer. This was done for convenience, so
>> that users do not accidentally erase and install their Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
>> partitions.
>> However, "Erase and Install" remains available through Disk Utility, which
>> is also included on the installation DVD.
>>
>> After you select your language and click the right arrow, an "Install Mac OS
>> X" screen, this is where you diverge from Apple's standard upgrade script
>> and erase your disk. Choose Utilities > Disk Utility.
>> I would also "Repair the Drive" also before installing SL.
>> If you need details how to preform the Erase and then installation of SL,
>> post back.
>>
>> Point 1:
>> Your TM backups and any other current backups will contain whatever is
>> causing your problems. So you will have to be careful what you 'bring across
>> from any backup'. First just bring across essential Data. Also installing
>> any applications you require from the backup is much safer than dragging the
>> applications across to a clean install.
>>
>> Point 2:
>> After the erase and install of SL, download the Snow Leopard 10.6.8 Combo.
>> Snow Leopard 10.6.8:  <http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399>
>> (Note: there's a separate Snow Leopard 10.6.8 Supplemental Update:
>> <http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1429>  that is not included in the 10.6.8
>> "combo".)
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Ronni
>>
>> 17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
>> 2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD
>>
>> OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion
>> Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)
>>

>> On 12/10/2012, at 10:39 AM, Allen Gladwell <all...@amnet.net.au> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Ronni
>>>
>>> Software Update now shows "No new software"
>>> I have deleted the SIMBL folder from Library/Applications Support and
>>> that's all I could find. I have no idea where it came from or when
>>> I did a Restart and Safari is still the same
>>>
>>> It appears that I now have another problem. Yesterday I noticed that that
>>> Time Machine was taking too long on the hourly backups, about 20 mins or
>>> more.  It used to be less than a minute. Last night I moved TM to another
>>> fresh disc finishing about 11pm. This morning it went for 40 mins on the
>>> new disc before I stopped it. It's taking a lot of CPU time and the
>>> computer is getting hot
>>>
>>> I don't know if this is connected to the Safari problem but something is
>>> not right
>>> What I feel like doing is starting again, perhaps with help from the WAMUG
>>> list, and I will have time this w/e. So:-
>>>
>>> 1- Make sure I have plenty of backups inc two TMs now and backup "user"
>>> separately
>>> 2- Use my Snow Leopard startup DVD to erase the Macintosh HD and re-install
>>> 4- Check that Safari and TM are working properly