On 22/10/2012, at 10:42 AM, Paul Willemse <p...@thelink.to> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Owing to some additional electrical supply being installed in my house I
> needed to power down my computers. All shut down properly, no indication of
> any problem.
>
> After the installation my older Mac Pro (about 6 years old) refused to
> restart or even try. The light above the power on button does not come on,
> nothing happens at all.
>
> Is there a battery or some other component that could cause this?
>
> Grateful for any assistance anyone can give.
>
> Regards,
>
> Paul

There is a small battery on the motherboard which is used to maintain PRAM
settings. If it is completely flat it can impact on the ability to restart. I'm
not familiar enough with the Mac Pro to be able to give you reliable advice,
but if history is anything to go by the battery will be a 3.5V half-AA Lithium
type, and should be fairly easy to locate in a Mac Pro. I used to buy these
from Dick Smith, but I haven't had to do so for many years so I don't know if
they still carry them. Batteries Plus might be another source.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948