Hi Ronni

Thanks for your response.  "Any" key (or mouse click) did not wake the Mac.
But problem probably solved - I'll go through another auto-sleep cycle to prove
it.

The keyboard is from the people who brought us the operating system whereby you
need to press the "Start" icon to close down the PC.  It is obvious, isn't it,
that I should press the "Sleep" button on the keyboard to wake the computer.

Cheers
Alan