Unfortunately (maybe?) we're in a stage where technology is moving at such a
fast pace that things do get updated (or outdated) at a much faster pace then
previously.
I think it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation really. I'm sure I may get
argued at with my next point,…but this is my feeling (and opinion) on some of
it. We as consumers ask for our devices to do more or be faster or want more
features out of our software. So software companies make them better and
faster. Then they won't run on our computers. So we upgrade,..and find we want
it to work better, so we ask them (the developers) to make it better…so they
do,..and we have to upgrade. And so on and so.
(Yes I've simplified it down there a little). But I'm sure they're at fault,
and we are a little as well. (I'm not blaming anyone,..I'm just giving my view).
And technology firms have to keep up with others or face the risk of falling
behind,.and then being left WELL behind. And then it gets worse.
And I don't think Apple are alone on this one unfortunately. Now, more then
ever though, they are looked at to expand and increase and better what they
"make". To try and stay ahead out of the rest.
It wasn't that long ago that Apple used to have to play "catch up" with the
others. (PowerPC days, when the first PPC G5 "SuperComputer" came out. Steve
Jobs announced it and said it would get to a specific spec within a year (I
think it was). i.e., something like,..hey we've released this "SuperComputer"
and in a year we'll have it at Quad Core 3.1GHz Processors. Then IBM dropped
the ball and Apple was left with egg on their face. And they were left playing
catch up for a good two years I think it was from that date. And then then
moved to Intel (sorry IBM, you let us down, we're outta here). Since then,
they've been able to keep up with the "Windows world" quite nicely. ANd the Mac
gear is on par almost with what is out there for Windows to run on hardware
wise.
Then came the iPad etc. And they kept on trying to stay out of the others and
outpacing them so as to keep their market share.

Sure, we don't always need to upgrade, and we can try and stay on a product as
long as possible. The iPad was a great device of it's time (given that it was
first introduced Jan 2010), so yeh it's now over two years). It was
discontinued in March 2011.
And it's been through some major changes through then. And unfortunately (sorry
Tim), but yes there were quite a few hardware requirements that the iPad 1 just
couldn't cope with for iOS6. And if you've ever compared an iPad1 to an
iPad2,..there's a massive speed difference. Apple also look at this and think,
sure, we *may* be able to run iOS6 on it,..but it might be dog slow that we're
just get hammered by people saying how bad it is on this device. So they draw a
line in the sand.

Now, going back to iPad2 in the school. (Sorry I went off a little there).
As Tim has mentioned, your best course of action is probably to ask them to
clarify why this is. I don't know what they want to run or why or what it
requires, but I think the point made is "we want it to run as long as possible
from the time it was bought"
I suppose they could look at it as, for those people that don't' have an iPad,
they want them to have the more up to date version so it lasts the whole term.
Rather then someone buying one version now, then having to buy another model in
a year in two. So in effect costing them twice as much having to both it twice.
Perhaps it could be, and I'm sure you could put this to them. Look, my iPad2
will run iOS6 fine. I would like to run this now with what ever things you need
it to do at school. if it then needs to be upgraded, I'm prepared to do that at
a later time.
if it's not as fast though, or doesn't handle something that a new iPad does,
does that mean they get "left behind"?? That could be a worry as well.
And I suppose (and again not knowing all the facts here for it), it may be
easier for them to "support" one model of iPad then having to know how to
support a lot of different models. (Yeh, I know, that's not a great example..as
it's an iPad. There's not much to it really. If it doesn't work. Reboot it. If
it doesn't play well reset it. If it doesn't play well after that - restore it.
Easy!!). But perhaps they just look at it and don't read into it fully. (I'm'
using a lot of "if's here…..lol).
So again, as Tim mentioned. Perhaps it should be ,..your iPad (if you own one
already) NEEDS to run iOS6. If and when an upgrade comes out, and and our
Apps/software/setup/whatever needs to be upgraded, if your older iPad doesn't
handle it, then unfortunately you'll need to upgrade.
Oh, I suppose the other thing is that when they design and test it, they will
only be wanting to pay to test it for one "Set" of iPads as I would imagine.
(not that testing it for others should add to much of the cost I would
imagine),…but that would be something else they will be looking at. Hey, we
know it runs on an iPad Gen4 ok, as that is what it was designed around and
tested on. If yours doesn't run it, I'm afraid you'll have to upgrade or your
child/ren will get "left behind"

I could way off the mark and completely wrong. Thankfully I don't have to worry
about that (yet), though Andrew does love his iPad1 and and is more then happy
with the apps on it. (one of which he is an App tester with,…LOL. Thankfully he
hasn't asked for commission for app testing yet,…lol).
That's just some thoughts that spring to mind.

Hope some of that helps. (and doesn't offend, as it's not meant to). Oh side
note,.Tim , when you do upgrade to a newer iPad then first thing you'll notice
is the massive speed increase. I remember when I had an iPad1 and was setting
up the (then) new iPad2 for a client I was like wow, this thing is so much
faster! :o) I wanted one!! Unfortunately my budget kept me inline and wouldn't
allow me to get it. (damn that money factor! lol) ;o)

Enjoy!

Kind regards
Daniel

---