Hi Brian,

On 25/11/2012, at 12:16 AM, Brian Risbey <risb...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Also, Memory cleaner app might be worth investigating, gives live memory
> availability readout up near your clock and if run, after closing apps can
> free up memory.

Well, not exactly... I don't recommend using these type of utilities in OS X.
The OS X system handles memory use extremely well it left alone to do the job.
I won't go into detail in this reply as to how OS X handles memory I might do
another post to WAMUG at some stage.

This Review is worth reading:
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57348959-263/memory-cleaning-utilities-not-the-panacea-they-claim-to-be/>

In some cases, these utilities can actually have a negative impact on system
performance by clearing the contents of "inactive" RAM. If you open Activity
Monitor you will see a blue segment of the memory pie chart that is labeled
"inactive." This RAM still holds data, but isn't being used by any active
process. If the system needs to load the data that is being stored in RAM, the
all it needs to do is reactivate that memory instead of loading it from scratch.
 /end Quote