Hi Jennifer,

Just a very quick reply as heading out to meet with a client (if I don't get
blown away in this terrible weather we are experiencing down south).
Do you have any external drives attached to your iMac when you startup and
experience the screen freezes?
If so: Unmount the external drive/s (Command-E) & disconnect the external
drive/s and see if the freezes stop happening on startup.

Have you 'Repaired The Drive'?
You need to boot from the install disc and repair the hard drive using the
Utilities > Disk Utility on the disc.
Every force shutdown usually damages the drive's directory.

I would also suggest you run the Apple Hardware Test.
How to Perform hardware test: Apple Knowledgebase Article HT1509
<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509>
then:
                • run the quick test (takes a few seconds)
                • run the extended test (can take several hours)

Let us know the results of the Hardware Test.

This could be Hardware, could be the Display / Graphics, could be software
related... very hard to give help without seeing the iMac and running some
tests.

I have to rush now, I'll be back later today but someone else might be able to
help you in the interim.

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)