Hi Peter,

Are you using Mountain Lion?

Answers to your questions in situ below.

Short explanation of 'What is iCloud':
"The name iCloud is, in fact, nothing more than an arbitrary label given to a
collection of features, services, settings,
and APIs (application programming interfaces), joined by a common thread of
relying on communication over the Internet between your Apple devices (Macs,
iOS devices, and Apple TV) and Apple’s servers in the cloud."

Short explanation of 'What is iCloud for':
" iCloud helps your devices integrate with each other. If you have more than
one digital device—say, two Macs, or a PC and an iPhone, or an iPhone and an
iPad, or an iPod touch and an Apple TV—it’s only natural to want all your
devices to share many kinds
of data.
Prior to iCloud, MobileMe let you sync some data (mail, contacts, calendars,
bookmarks) between devices seamlessly, but syncing other types of data
(documents, photos, apps, and media) among all your devices was cumbersome and
error-prone.
With iCloud, syncing encompasses more kinds of data and requires less effort.

In fact, the word “sync” almost becomes an anachronism; for the most part,
iCloud pushes new or changed data almost instantly to all your devices.
You can switch between devices with abandon, knowing your data is always
wherever you need it."

Perhaps have a read about what iCloud is and how to setup iCloud on all your
devices.
<http://www.apple.com/au/icloud/>

<http://www.apple.com/au/icloud/setup/>

On 08/01/2013, at 11:51 AM, Curtis Peter <pe...@augold.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Everyone
> I hope you all had a marvellous Christmas and a great New Year.
> Bit warm up here in Kalgoorlie, 44 yesterday, 45 today and supposedly 46
> tomorrow! Good weather to stay indoors in the airconditioning catching up
> with some computer stuff. Talking of computer stuff, the reason for my email.
> I'm still trying to get my head around the "Cloud" and have a couple of
> queries which someone may be able to assist with.
>
> 1. If I use the "Cloud" and sync my contacts, do all my contacts go into the
> cloud taking them away from, or off my laptop? Should this be the case then
> if I'm out of range of either phone or internet does this mean I can't access
> my contacts until I come back into range/area?

No, iCloud does not take your contracts from your Mac.
iCloud keeps everything you select when you setup iCloud, in sync to all your
devices.
Make a change on one device and it will sync to all other devices and your Mac.

> 2. Does this apply to all sync'ed info like, music or calendar information?

Whatever you set to sync when you setup iCloud

> 3. Which device takes preference in the sync? If I make alterations on both
> devices, e.g. laptop and ipad, and one alteration updates another, what
> happens?

Which ever device has the most 'up to date' version will be synced to all your
devices & Mac.

Sent from Ronni's iPad4