Julie,
It is possible that you have activated the Zoom feature of the screen display.

Go to the Apple menu > System Preferences, click Accessibility, and then click
Zoom.
Open the Zoom pane of Accessibility preferences
Turn off “Use keyboard shortcuts to zoom” and “Use scroll gesture with modifier
keys to zoom.”

If zoom isn't turned on then check your screen resolution in the Displays
preferences.

robin