Hello Matt,

As part of the routine syncing with iTunes, the data is backed up. You can
select iCloud backup or backup to the hard drive of the machine the device is
plugged into. Select the device in iTunes to see what option is selected. It
may already be doing it.

I'm sure there will be a more complete answer, but put simply, that's what I
understand happens.

Tim