Hi Severin,

The main thing I have to turn Java on for is the landgate mapviewer (much
better aerial photos than googlemaps if you select the right set)
<https://www.landgate.wa.gov.au/bmvf/app/mapviewer/>

I also remember that the old ATO CSI software used it - though this is now
replaced by Auskey (also needs Java) which apparently is a bit of a bugger
to get running on the Mac (particularly Lion/Mountain Lion) - though I never
used the CSI much and haven't yet tried to install and run Auskey.

Cheers

Neil
--
Neil R. Houghton