On 17/03/2013, at 6:28 PM, Stephen Chape <chap...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I downloaded Dropbox yesterday.
> I have set up folders in dropbox for my Excel, Word and PDF folders.
> And have now copied to them.
> I am happy with iCloud, but it does not seem to want to be involved with the
> above files.
>
> Just one question please if anyone knows this.
> If I make changes to one of these files does it automatically update in
> Dropbox, or does it need to be uploaded again ?
>
> I miss the MobileMe backups; they were very handy !

Dropbox and iCloud both work in a similar way: they each have a local folder on
your hard drive which synchronises with a matching folder on the remote server.
They differ in the important fact that iCloud will only work with certain Apple
software and some third party products, while Dropbox has no such restrictions.

Having said that, using Dropbox or iCloud could not be more simple. s soon as
you save or change a file in your local folder, those changes are immediately
synchronised to the remote folder. There is nothing else to do. The nice thing
about this is that you can have Dropbox or iCloud on as many devices as you
like, and the synchronisation works across all of them.

iCloud is very easy to use with your iWork, Preview, TExtEdit and certain other
files, but it won't work for your Excel or Word files. You'll need Dropbox for
these. If you want to settle on just one service then obvious Dropbox is the
one to use, but there's no problem in using both. I do so every day.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948