We have a pair of Macbook Pros* *MacBookPro5,5  (just 3 years old) which
were running very badly, [very very slow, crashing, freezing etc etc] I did
all usual stuff, ran disk repairs, repaired permissions etc

We took them to the Genius Bar at Garden City. The guy ran a disk
diagnostic (which I had done, but never mind) and said the hard drives were
OK.

He said it would probably be a good idea to do a clean install of Mountain
Lion, and restore from backup, and asked if we have backups. We told him
yes we had Time Machine backups, hard drive backups, and Crash Plan backups.

So we went shopping and he re-loaded Mountain Lion.

My husband's machine went well. We restored the users etc folders from his
clone backup using Setup and left the applications (because the guy said it
was a software problem and we should load one by one)

The only problem was we couldn't get the ML updates on the wireless
connection, couldn't connect to apple store or iTunes, although other sites
were fine. I connected him by ethernet cable directly to the modem and then
all was well.

My machine was a different story. I couldn't restore from my clone backup
because it had failed when I did a last minute backup that morning.[yes, I
know stupid...]

When I tried to use Migration Assistant from Time Machine it wasn't
granular and just downloaded everything and my computer was back to sludge.

So erased the partition, re-installed ML and connected to TM again with
Setup. I was tired and not paying attention. I downloaded my husband's
backup.

I realised my mistake, erased the partition, re-installed ML and tried to
connect to TM again. Now I could only see my husband's backup.

I took it to the Genius Store twice more (the 1st time without the TM
drive!) and the next time with it. The assistant there also could only see
my husband's backup.

My computer still thinks it is his (came up, before I even looked for the
TM with his name and his personal email address.

Where have my TM backups gone How can I access them? If I deleted how did I
do that?

I can download the Crashplan backup but that will take weeks.

*
*

*Processor*  2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

*Memory*  4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3