Hi Rob

I'm not a "Service Tech" per say,..but have worked (or had) a few of these of
late that I can offer some advise.
Depending on how much has "Stuck" to the Motherboard then yes it can slowly
degrade to the point of other things not working. This can be weeks, months
(years?). Sometimes things work fine and it keeps going for ages, other times
it can blow or stop things working straight away. And the liquid spilt can
affect what happens as well also.
I had a machine just the other day that a client had spilt cold coffee into the
laptop. (on the a,s,d etc key side). The laptop worked semi well, but the
screen would flicker in and out. Eventually the screen would sometimes power up
and sometimes not. So although it "would" work, it wasn't going to last.
So I took into to get looked over to be sure. And yeh, sure enough the
motherboard needed replaced.
But I've had others for different clients with different liquids spilt on it,
still working fine to do this day.
(One of the reasons I have Keyboard covers on all my keyboards and laptop
keyboards, just to "help" in these situations.) ;o) (I had water spill over a
home keyboard and it never touched the keyboard. I just took it off, washed it
and bought it back on. Saved it very well).

Their isn't a protective cover under the keyboard. Each point under the
keyboard goes to different things. Just depends on where it was spilt. (And
each machine has different "indicators" under it show if it's had water damage
or not. I remember reading on one of the websites that one of the new machines
has about 9 indicators built into to detect "damage".

The cost of the motherboard can differ from model to model. But they range in
the price range of $700-$900+ depending on the model. (Sorry don't have the
info close to me, but a service centre should be able to advise).
And yes, some insurance policies will cover "spillage", it just depends on your
insurance.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards
Daniel