David,

I can't help with the screen display, but I can with filtering or screening
emails. I look at them on my iPhone. It has a much more efficient system than
laptop computers. I can very quickly use the edit function to skim through the
list if senders and subjects, delete in bulk the ones I don't want and either
read and answer the others or close Mail on the phone and access the emails via
my laptop.
Preferences can be set so a bcc  of any answers I send from the iPhone is sent
to me, which means it's received and kept on my laptop.

Cheers,

Michael Hawkins.